Friday, May 1, 2009

I am not a gardener

I am the daughter of an Arborist and a Rosarian. My Dad studied Ag at UC Davis and owned acres of walnuts and pears. He would get up in the middle of the night to set out smudge pots to keep his trees warm if it frosted. He knew how to graft a red delicious apple onto a golden delicious tree. My mom could grow anything, and was an award-winning floral arranger. Both parents were skilled at Bonsai. I could go on and on - it seems plants were the main focus of their passions, and there were few plants and trees they couldn't identify. I, however, did not get the gardener gene. It went to my sister, while my brother and I ended up with the "make stuff" gene. I do not like touching dirt, and I don't like taking care of houseplants. It was a big deal for me to plant a handful of irises last fall.

That said, I absolutely love plants and flowers. I love them in the house, as long as they look good, but when they start to turn brown and wilt, I can't wait to get rid of them. I am fortunate that mom left us some beautiful roses for our yard that, thankfully are hardy enough to withstand my inattention. I am also lucky and thankful for my friend Sib, who gifted me a little baggie of wildflower seeds early this year, which has turned into this little fairytale patch of cheerfulness in the front yard.

So right now, our front yard is blooming like crazy, and I'm loving it! My mom used to tell me that some day I would begin to enjoy gardening. Well, maybe a little. But I'll still never be a gardener.








Mom's "Regansberg" Rose



And my first iris opened today!


1 comment:

Donita Curioso said...

Wow, those wildflowers look great! I've never had that kind of luck with them.

I love bearded iris. Gonna git me some o' them someday.