Sunday, March 29, 2009

Jack London State Park

The shame of it! I had never been to Jack London State Park until today. Now I know what I have been missing, and how much more of that place I have yet to discover. I'm already anxious to go back.

After a nice visit with Velva, we headed out to Jack London with Sandra and Keith. Jo was working in the museum. Boy did she have a busy day - lots of visitors today in this beautiful weather.

What a gorgeous place. There is so much to see - absolutely endless things to photograph. We saw lots of people just lounging around with their noses in books. Jack London books, no doubt. I want to go back in early morning light, and again in late afternoon light. I want to go back with my bike, and sketchbook and watercolors. I want to see the Lake and the Pig Palace. The park is gigantic, and in the three hours we were there, we only saw a tiny portion of it. Amelia & I have vowed to go back and stay the whole day sometime.

I think we hit it at the prime time of year - everything is green, the wildflowers are blooming, and the weather was sunny and invitingly warm. I can imagine it gets mighty hot up there in the summer.

This evening, I enjoyed re-living the day by sorting through my photos.





















7 comments:

Jo said...

Nancy your photography just takes my breath away. Even though I work at Jack London SHP, and am always amazed how fantastic the place is, seeing it through your eyes is spectacular. So glad you all came, sorry it took so long to get out of there, but glad we could all have dinner together later. Fun fun fun!

Nancy said...

Hey Jo,
Lucky you that you get to see that all the time! I know, working there's not the same as being a visitor, but still... what a special place. (except for the rattlesnakes,yeah?)

I feel I just barely scratched the surface, and need to come back.

Jo said...

Nancy - you're right, you just barely scratched the surface of the area. I hope you do come back and keep exploring and keep taking the fantastic photos. I see more through your photos than through my own eyes. Maybe you should volunteer to be a docent here. I bet you would love it.

Kim Aikawa said...

Hi Nancy, I love you the way you laid out the photos. So pretty. I also love your felt farms! I am thinking about getting some keychains for the kids. I think I saw two different ones there.

Suzanne's Blog said...

Nancy,
Your photographs are just exceptional, so beautiful, and what a great layout as well. Isn't it an amazing place, Jack London? When I went there, the haunting feeling of the place stayed with me for a long time. I look forward to seeing more of your work once you return.

Nancy said...

Funny thing is, I was unhappy with how Blogger has a mind of its own when determining the size to display images - no matter how consistently you size the files, so I went back in and stretched them to make them consistent, and now they're all pixelated! Well, that's not the way to do it! One of these days I'll get a handle on Blogger! Guess I'm going to have to learn some html.

Jeffery said...

Yup I have been to Jack London SP about four times since i discovered it a year ago. it is such a beautiful place to spend the afternoon learning or in nature,