Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sad Chicken story

Last Saturday I went out to Penngrove Hay & Grain and got 2 more baby chicks; an Ameracauna and a Barred Rock. They were 3 weeks old. Penny and Ginger accepted them immediately, and, at only one week older, took on the "mother hen" role of sitting on them when it began to get dark. After a couple of nights in the cat carrier safely in the garage, I thought it would be ok to let them sleep in the coop with P&G. I had nailed an extra layer of chicken wire around the base of the coop, because they warned me at the feed store that animals can reach right through chicken wire. Well, they were right. Something, - a cat, we're fairly sure, reached through both layers of wire and got the Barred Rock in the middle of the night. I came out in the morning to find her head and her heart in the coop, and a pile of feathers outside. Sickening. So as soon as I came home from work, I nailed another layer of chicken-wire to the outside. I'm still nervous, because for some reason, those silly chickens like to sleep right up next to the sides of the coop. I go out there right at dusk and move them further back, and hopefully they stay there the rest of the night. Chickens go brain-dead after dark; they typically can't even walk, so I'm hoping they stay put. And if they don't, hopefully 3 layers of chicken-wire will keep the predators' stinkin arms out of there.

1 comment:

Donita Curioso said...

Oh no.

Put an electrified wire around it. I'll bet Dave could slap one up pronto.