Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What is Needle-felting?

I often get asked how my needle-felted pieces are made. It's very hard to explain without demonstrating the process; and hard to envision because it is like nothing else. You don't use a needle & thread; you don't use scissors; you don't use knitting or crochet needles. You use something called a felting needle, which most people have never heard of. I made this display piece to go alongside my work at the Graton Gallery.

It's a bit of a 3d display, as I actually stuck a real felting needle through the paper where the illustration is, and glued some fiber and felt into the boxes on the right side.

Click for larger view:

3 comments:

DENNIS BOLT said...

Very nice Nancy. What you need to do is do a project and take photos as you go so you can show how loose wool gets felted and then shaped etc.

DENNIS BOLT said...

PS..You have stuff in the Graton Gallery? Super cool. I will have to stop in!

BumbleVee said...

perfect way to get the point across..