Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Laid off again...

I've been laid off before, but it's never come as a shock to me.

"Nancy, the company is announcing layoffs today, and your job is one of them." The words of my boss last Friday. Completely out of the blue - I had no idea they were even talking of layoffs. This company just does not communicate with its employees. In the 6 months I was there, I never received ONE company-wide office e-mail. Which was a blessing in a way, but kind of weird. I would overhear things that indicated they were ok, like, the machine shop's running 20 hours a day, they've added x number of machines, the fin shop is working Saturdays to keep up with orders, etc. And they had hired a bunch of people earlier this year... Now, I'm told, due to order slowdown at the boat builders, they decide to lay off 14 of us - that's about 10% of the company. And besides coming as a shock, I had to pack up my stuff and leave immediately, which was really bizarre. I drove home at 11am and just drifted around the house, mindlessly doing stuff like cleaning out the fridge, not really knowing what to think. I'm still waking up in the middle of the night, going "what the ... did that really happen?" "Aren't I supposed to be getting ready for work?"

Such a bummer; I was really hoping that I could hang with this job for the next few years - So now it's apply for unemployment, update my portfolio, hope that something opens up...

2 comments:

Gerald de Dios said...

Very sorry for the news. I know many people hearing rumors of possible layoff too. My uncle just got word of the Post Office doing a huge layoff at the end of the year (Vallejo/Napa). Hopefully not true. Getting laid off is weird...Last time I was laid off I was excited but scared at the same time. I took it as a way to step back re-evaluate what I want to do? It's all part of our life long journey :D

Donita Curioso said...

Wow, Nancy. I'm sorry to hear that. I guess it makes sense that these tough economic times would hit boat builders. Ugh! I hope you aren't out of work for too long.