Wednesday, April 2, 2008

RIP Delilah


Michele called with the sad news that Delilah, Safari West's Indian Hornbill, has died. I fell in love with this bird the first time I saw her years ago. I'm pretty sure she lived most of her life in zoos, until she was fortunate enough to come to Safari West, where she was pretty much the resident mascot of the place; at least for me. She hung out on the patio outside their cafe. Delilah was ... Large. Once she made eye contact with you, you were in love. She had blue eyes and huge, long black eyelashes. When she walked, she hopped with both feet like she was on a pogo stick. She was sooooo cute! She was over 45 years old! What's really weird is that I knew she died yesterday. I don't know how or why; I just felt it. I even went through my photos of her yesterday, thinking to myself that she may not still be here. Of course I didn't really think I was right. Here are some photos I took of her the last time I saw her in October.

Here she is in all her glory:




The last time I saw Delilah I came home wanting one like a little kid wanting a new puppy. To get over it, I decided to make my own Delilah:

3 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Gorgeous photos.

Wow, she was 45 years old? Good girl, Delilah.

Right now I've got that Tom Jones song running through my head. My, my, my Delilah... Why, why, why Delilah?....

Not really appropriate since it's a song about a guy killing his girlfriend.

Donita Curioso said...

And I LOVE the felted Delilah. I like her gnarly feet!

Nancy said...

I was wrong about her age; she was almost 40. Here's an article about her from the PD: http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080402/NEWS/665638597