Friday, March 14, 2008

She's gone.

It's really hard to fathom. Our red chicken was attacked and killed on Monday by some unknown vicious animal. I feel terribly, terribly guilty because I was home when it happened, and I heard her squalk. I even went outside to check on her, and could not find her. So I assumed she'd just scared some faral cats away like she'd done so many times before. But when Amelia came home from school, she found her body on the front lawn. Dave thinks it was a dog; I think it was one of those stupid cats that have been stalking her for years. We buried her in the back yard. She gave us 7 great years of companionship, and I will miss her so much. Now we have no chickens.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Oh that is sooooo sad. Is that the same one you just took a picture of and wrote about?

Nancy said...

Hi Jo,

Yeah. She was the boss.

N

Donita Curioso said...

Awww. Damn. Poor girlie.

It's a little hard to imagine you guys without chickens. They were such a pleasant part of your scene. Are you going to get more?

Nancy said...

Oh, yeah we'll get more. I can't imagine they'll be as savy as these girls were, though, so we're going to have to do some fence mending to keep them in our yard. It's a little too cold yet, too, so we'll wait a month or so.