Friday, January 18, 2008

Weathergrams

I had never heard of Weathergrams before I saw some hanging on Velva's tree by her front door. They were really sweet, unique and obviously hand-made. To me, they called out for you to stop, and take some time to read them. They're a little bit quirky, and reminded me of the book "Remember the Night Rainbow," that we bought Amelia when she was 3. Velva's Weathergrams were made by her neighbor Judy Brooks. When Judy heard from Velva how much I liked them, she made some for us.

These have been hanging in our Oak tree out front for the last year or so. I don't think anybody but me appreciated them, but I think they are sweet. They were beginning to get tattered and torn, and I found a couple on the ground, so I rescued them. I will probably recycle them as gift tags or something. If anyone would like to have one, let me know, and I will pass it on. Click to zoom in and read them:

The weathergram is written on paper cut from grocery store paper bags. The strip is 2 1/2 x 10 inches. Current Cursive Italic is the letter-form for the weathergram - not formal calligraphy. Acrylic vermilion is used for the initial, & Higgins waterproof India ink for the rest. The writing will last as long as the paper does or longer. Any other color or ink will wash out or fade away.


Here are some excerpts of information that Judy included for us, from the book "Weathergrams" by Lloyd Reynolds, Reed College, Portland, Ore.

The Weathergram is a very short poem of about ten words - or less. It comes as a sudden insight; & hence brevity is essential. Furthermore, no one will stop to read any lengthy statement while standing in the wind & rain. The Weathergram is hung on a bough or branch in the garden, at a campsite, or along a mountain trail. Raw & incomplete when just written, the weathergram needs the graphic touches of wind, rain, sun and ice - depending on the season. It may fade to an off-white, old bone color, & ragged edges gie it some of the qualities of a faded leaf. The origins of the weathergram go back to 1926-27, when I first found translations of Far Eastern poetry. After developing weathergrams I discovered that the idea had been anticipated much earlier & with great artistry, by the Japanese, who send tanzaku with thank-you notes or exchange them with friends. Like weathergrams, they are given away & are strictly non-commercial.

1 comment:

Donita Curioso said...

Wow, these are really wonderful. Gonna share this idea. they're like sweet nothings dangling in the wind.